For the past 40 years, animal welfare has been a topic of interest due to consumer awareness and scientific knowledge that links improvements of animals’ welfare with human well-being.
Surely, we are what we eat, and what we eat depends on what we cultivate!
Animals reflect the conditions of their habitat. It is the provider of all elements needed for animal well-being and health. When not looked after the habitat can have toxic effects such as the development of several pathogenic factors.
However, providing a healthy habitat is not always easy! This training guides participant in the best welfare practices, care to take, gestures and tools that heal, and effective prevention actions. With practice, you will become a sustainable farmer!
The training includes specific livestock modules * for each animal species – sheep, goats, pigs, cattle, poultry, horses, and birds with a focus on natural practices for the health problem of each species. In particular, the training attends to plant recognition, animal observation and detection of pathological signs. You will be able to apply natural solutions to livestock considering the main challenges of each species!
* This training includes theory and practice that can be applied to any zootechnical species. A last optional module, of practical application dedicated to a species and which must be defined upon registration (Sheep, Goat, Swine, Bovine, Birds or Horses).
Attending and acquiring knowledge for more than one species will also be possible with an additional cost of € 45 per additional animal species.
This training is aimed at livestock farmers and crop farmers, technicians and veterinarians, researchers, businessmen, teachers and students in the agricultural area.
No prior qualifications or academic qualifications are required. A device with a good internet connection is required. This will allow to attend the videoconferences and watch videos online. The course will be in Portuguese language.
Upon completing this training, you should be able to:
- understand how environment affects animal health;
- balance each species diet;
- choose the best protein based diet for each species;
- produce your own “natural mineral supplement” for your animals;
- select the most useful probiotics for animal health;
- use natural antiparasitic agents;
- recognize early warnings of diseases;
- select curative foods and plants; beneficial for each animal species;
- limit the risks of viral pathologies.
This training is given by ARAA and covers theory combined with new trends, all complemented with real cases with on-site visits. At the end, participants receive a certificate of completion.
Activities (online) will start on March 21, 2021. You can enroll at any time and start attending after the start date!
Materials will be provided in a timely manner so that you manage your own time. After, dedicated sessions will allow knowledge consolidation, debate on proposed works and clarification of your specific questions applied to your reality!
Online meetings will take place on Saturdays.
The workload is 75 hours distributed between autonomous work and synchronous sessions (36 hours). Theoretical training ends at week 6 and practical application of knowledge at week 7, focusing on the chosen animal species, with visits to explorations dedicated to this theme. These include local visits to farms to be scheduled when the Portuguese Government surveys the health restrictions imposed.
€ 249.00 (includes 1 animal specialization)
** € 45.00 per extra animal specialization.
After adding this course to the cart
(ADD TO CART button)
- Lectures 7
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 75 hours
- Language English
- Students 1
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Yes
DATES TO BE SET (SEE BELOW): MODULE 7. ANIMAL SPECIES (TOURS)
Applying the principles of sustainable farming and animal welfare: hygiene and habitat, organic food, alternative care, integrative treatments. Included one elected area to choose from below, but you may choose extra ones. To choose all activities, go to the page Practical activities
- 5th June: Practice 1. Field visit to Herdade do Vale d’Alagoa (sheep), Rosmaninhal
- Practice 2. Goats – Quinta Yaaran (Alcafozes)
- Practice 3. Pigs – Quinta das Cobras (Penha Garcia)
- Practice 4. Cattle – Place to be announced
- Practice 5. Birds – Place to be announced
- Practice 6. Horses – Place to be announced
- Practice 7. Rabbit – Place to be announced