Sustainable Agro Farming and Animal Welfare – Jean Claude Rodet vision
For the past 40 years, animal welfare has been a topic of interest due to consumer awareness and scientific knowledge that links improvements of animals’ welfare with human well-being.
Surely, we are what we eat, and what we eat depends on what we cultivate!
Animals reflect the conditions of their habitat. It is the provider of all elements needed for animal well-being and health. When not looked after the habitat can have toxic effects such as the development of several pathogenic factors.
However, providing a healthy habitat is not always easy! This training guides participant in the best welfare practices, care to take, gestures and tools that heal, and effective prevention actions. With practice, you will become a sustainable farmer!
The training includes specific livestock modules * for each animal species – sheep, goats, pigs, cattle, poultry, horses, and birds with a focus on natural practices for the health problem of each species. In particular, the training attends to plant recognition, animal observation and detection of pathological signs. You will be able to apply natural solutions to livestock considering the main challenges of each species!
* This training includes theory and practice that can be applied to any zootechnical species. A last optional module, of practical application dedicated to a species and which must be defined upon registration (Sheep, Goat, Swine, Bovine, Birds or Horses).
Attending and acquiring knowledge for more than one species will also be possible with an additional cost of € 45 per additional animal species.
This training is aimed at professionals, farmers, researchers, entrepreneurs, teachers and students in the sustainable agricultural area.
No prior qualifications or academic qualifications are required. A device with a good internet connection is required. This will allow to attend the videoconferences and watch videos online. The course will be in Portuguese language.
Upon completing this training, you should be able to:
- understand how environment affects animalhealth;
- balance each speciesdiet;
- choose the bestprotein baseddiet for each species;
- produce your own “natural mineral supplement” for youranimals;
- select the most useful probiotics for animalhealth;
- use natural antiparasiticagents;
- recognize early warnings ofdiseases;
- select curative foods and plants; beneficial for each animalspecies;
- limit the risks of viral pathologies.
This training is delivered by the F4S Learning Academy covering theory, new trends complemented with real cases and onsite visits. At the end, participants receive a certificate of completion.
F4S Learning Academy is the educational arm of F4S collaborative laboratory, CoLab, recognized from the Portuguese scientific-technological system, Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia, FCT.
Activities (online) will start on March 21, 2021. You can enroll at any time and start attending after the start date!
Materials will be provided in a timely manner so that you manage your own time. After, dedicated sessions will allow knowledge consolidation, debate on proposed works and clarification of your specific questions applied to your reality!
Online meetings will take place on Saturdays.
The workload is 75 hours distributed between autonomous work and synchronous sessions (36 hours). Theoretical training ends in week 7. Followed by two weeks of animal detail. These include local visits to farms to be scheduled when the Portuguese Government surveys the health restrictions imposed.
€ 249.00 (includes 1 animal specialization)
** € 45.00 per extra animal specialization.
After adding this course to the cart
(ADD TO CART button)
- Lectures 12
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 75 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Yes
MODULE 01 – LIVESTOCK AND HABITAT
MODULE 02 – FACTORS OF ANIMAL PRODUCTION IN ORGANIC MODE
MODULE 03 - VETERINARY MEDICINAL PLANTS (PHYTOTHERAPY)
MODULE 04 – FORAGE AND HYDROPONIC SPROUTS
MODULE 05 – THE ROLE OF COMPOSTING IN THE CIRCULAR ECONOMY
MODULE 06 – ANIMAL SPECIES
Applying the principles of sustainable farming and animal welfare: hygiene and habitat, organic food, alternative care, integrative treatments. Included one elected area to choose from below, but you may choose extra ones. To choose all activities, go to the page Practical activities
- Practice 1. Sheep – Herdade do Vale da Alagoa (Rosmanhal)
- Practice 2. Goats – Quinta Yaaran (Alcafozes)
- Practice 3. Pigs – Quinta das Cobras (Penha Garcia)
- Practice 4. Cattle – Place to be announced
- Practice 5. Birds – Place to be announced
- Practice 6. Horses – Place to be announced
- Practice 7. Rabbit – Place to be announced