𝗦𝗲𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝘄𝗲𝗯𝗶𝗻𝗮𝗿 𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲:
98% of olive oil production takes place in the Mediterranean region. About one-third of EU farmers are olive growers, producing an average 16 million metric tons of olives and more than 3 million tons of olive oil annually.
90% of olive is used in the process of olive oil production leaving a 10% potential for further usage. The paradox is that olive mill solid wastes and wastewaters represent a serious environmental problem, being classified as major pollutants, but are also considered precious sources of bioactive compounds. The valorisation of these olive oil by-products has several viable applications, ranging from composting, to cattle feed and a source of phenolic compounds and biochar production.
This webinar focused on the Valorisation of olive industry residues and aimed to introduce the current state of the art and shed light on value-added applications. Also, two case-studies in the olive oil industry were explored, bringing an in-depth analysis of how this sector is adapting its business models towards the circular economy concept.