Ana Novo de Barros
Ana Novo de Barros is assistant Professor with habilitation at the Chemistry Department of the University of Trás–os-Montes and Alto Douro, in the field of Organic Chemistry, Food Chemistry and Food Analysis. Integrated member from the Centre for the Research and Technology of Agro-Environmental and Biological Sciences (CITAB), responsible for the Phytochemicals Laboratory, and Coordinator of the Agri-Food Quality Group. Leader of the Thematic Line ‘Technology and innovation in the agri–food and forestry chains for a more competitive bioeconomy” and Director of the same Research Centre since May 2017. Author of 75 international peer reviewed papers and holder of 8 national and international patents. Coordinator of one ON2 project as the principal investigator and more 15 projects as participant.
The main lines of research are focused on:
– Synthesis and structural characterization by NMR of potentially bioactive phenolic compounds.
– Characterization and quantification of bioactive compounds of food matrices and by-products by HPLC.
– Evaluation of pre-harvest factors (species, variety, ripeness, and agri-environmental factors) and post-harvest factors (agronomic, environmental, transport, storage, or processing) in the content of bioactive phytochemicals.
– Evaluation of biological activity in vitro (antioxidant activity and capacity to modulate oxidative stress in cell models) of phytochemical constituents.
– Development of ingredients and functional foods based on the content of bioactive polyphenols available in the analysed matrices.
– Use of infrared spectroscopy to determine the nutritional and phytochemical composition and as a technique for developing predictive models.